The Policy was last updated on July 14, 2016.
This Policy explains what personal information we collect about you, with whom we share it, and how you can elect in certain situations to not share information with third parties. “Personal Information” refers to information such as name and email that can be used to identify you individually.
We may amend this Policy at any time, and whenever we do so we will notify you by posting a revised version on the Website. If, however, we plan to make a material change in the way we collect, use, or store your personal information, we will provide prior notice on our website, and by email. You will then have the chance to decide whether or not we will use or disclose your information in that new manner, whether though an “opt-out” procedure or by ending your relationship with us. Such changes will become effective, at the earliest, 30 days after the date of the email notifications.
We ask that minors refrain from using our Service or submitting any personal information to us. Minors (those under the age of 18 years) are not eligible to use our Service.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this Policy, you should contact us.
Information We Collect
We will collect the following information about you, which may include non-public personal information:
- Personal and financial Information you give us as a result of using the Service, such as your address, e-mail address, date of birth, telephone number, all or part of your Social Security number, bank account number, and credit/debit card number. Under certain circumstances we will also collect and save information obtained from scanned copies of official identification documents, including your Passport or Drivers' License.
- Third party personal information you provide in order for us to facilitate funds transfers, such as your recipient's full name, physical address, email address, and phone number. However, we will not contact your recipients except as instructed by you or as required to complete a transaction. This information is only used for the sole purpose of completing your request or for whatever reason it may have been provided.
- Information about your usage of the Service, including your transaction history, and how and to whom you use the Service to send or receive money;
- Information that we lawfully obtain from third parties, such as identity verification services, electronic database services, and credit reporting agencies;
- Information that we indirectly obtain from you, such as information about the hardware and software you use when accessing the Service, your IP address, and the pages you access on this website, and other websites that you visit prior to accessing the Service.
Technologies such as: cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by Remitly, Inc. and our marketing, analytics and risk partners or affiliates. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users' movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
As is true of most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.
We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you. We do this to improve services we offer you.
We use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 to store content information and preferences. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML 5 or Flash to collect and store information.
Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. To manage Flash LSOs please click here.
We partner with a third party to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here. Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
You can log in to our site using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on this Web site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
Why We Collect Information
We collect Personal and Non-Personal information for the following purposes:
- To process your transactions.
- To verify your identity.
- To collect payment for your use of the Service.
- To troubleshoot problems with the Service.
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations, such as those relating to “know-your-customer,” and anti-money laundering requirements.
- To detect and prevent fraud and other illegal uses of the Service.
- To send you marketing notices, service updates, and promotional offers
- To collect survey information that will be used to monitor or improve the use of our Service and overall customer satisfaction.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you Service. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
How We Share Information With Others
Nevertheless, we may share information about you (including nonpublic, personal information) with:
- Third-party service providers under contract with Remitly that help us with our business operations, such as transaction processing, fraud prevention, and marketing. These third parties are prohibited from using your information for their own separate business purposes.
- In the event of the sale, acquisition or merger of some or all of our assets, your personal information might be a part of the transferred assets. We shall notify you in the event of such an occurrence, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information, by placing a notice on our website.
- Law enforcement, government officials or other third parties, but only
- in connection with a formal request, subpoena, court order, or similar legal procedure; and,
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, prevent physical harm or financial loss, report suspected illegal activity, or to investigate violations of our User Agreement.
Access To Your Information
You can access, modify, delete or update your personal information submitted on our Website by logging into your account and changing your preferences, by emailing our Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by contacting us by telephone at the contact information listed below. We will respond to your request to access within a reasonable timeframe.
We employ industry accepted standards in protecting the information you submit to us on our Website. We have put in place SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption technology to protect your sensitive information such as bank account number, credit card number, date of birth and Social Security Number, transmitted through our Website. We also require a username and password from each user who wants to access their information on our Website. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us at email@example.com.
Choices You Can Make About Our Use Of Your Information
Federal and state laws allow you to restrict the sharing of your personal information in certain instances. However, these laws also state that you cannot restrict all types of sharing. Because we have chosen to refrain from certain types of data sharing, the only type of sharing of your personal information that you may restrict is as follows:
- You may opt-out from promotional emails to you by selecting the “Unsubscribe” function present in each email we send you.
Links to 3rd Party Sites
We use a chat feature to answer questions about our service and assist you with our website's functionality. If our chat feature is offline we will collect your name and email address so that we may reply to your request.
Social Media Widgets
You can import contacts from your Gmail and Yahoo Mail to invite them to become members of our site. We do not collect the username and password for the email account you wish to import your contacts from as you provide it directly to Gmail and Yahoo and after your approval they send us your email contacts. At your instruction we will send an email invite and at most one reminder email in addition to the original invite.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our site, we will ask you for your friend's name and email address. We will automatically send your friend an email and at most one reminder email inviting him or her to visit the site. Remitly, Inc. stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this email and tracking the success of your referral.
Your friend may request that we remove this information from our database.
You can contact us with any questions or concerns at: Remitly, Inc., 1601 2nd Ave, Suite 800, Seattle, WA 98101
Email: Customer Service
Toll-Free Phone: 1-888-736-4859