Remitly User Agreement
This User Agreement (“Agreement”) is effective as of November 12, 2012, and was
most recently updated on October 25, 2013. It describes the terms by which you will be bound when you use the services accessible
at www.remitly.com (“Service”). Do not use the Service if you do not
agree to be bound by these terms. By using the Service you agree to everything contained
in this User Agreement.
As used throughout this Agreement, the terms “Remitly”,
“we”, “us”, and “our” refer to
Remitly, Inc., a Delaware corporation, together with its employees, directors,
successors, and assignees. The terms “you” and “your”
refer to users of the Service, whether as Senders or Recipients.
We recommend you use the Service to send money to friends and family and, therefore,
you should not use the Service to send money to strangers.
The Service allows users to send payments from the United States to the Philippines.
A “Sender” uses the Service to send money and a “Recipient”
receives money through the Service. A “Transaction” refers to an
order to send money through the Service. The “Transaction Amount”
is the amount in US dollars that the Sender provides to Remitly for transmittal to the Recipient.
The “Payout Amount” is the amount paid out to the Recipient, excluding any
taxes or charges that may be levied under the laws of the Republic of the Philippines (the
The Service also includes the ability of Senders and Receivers to exchange electronic messages related to their transactions (“Messaging”). Messaging is intended for use only by Remitly customers and is subject to, among other things, the Service Restrictions described in Paragraph No. 5 of this Agreement.
- Age and Capacity. You must be at least eighteen (18) years old to access or
use the Service as a Sender. You must be able to form legally binding contracts under
applicable law. Other restrictions may apply.
- Residence within the United States Within the United States the Service is not
available to residents of certain states. Please check our website frequently to see
whether your state of residence has been added to the list of eligible locations.
- Offer and Acceptance. If you submit a Transaction, you are requesting that we
process your Transaction, an offer that we may accept or reject at our sole discretion.
- Charges. With each Transaction you submit you are agreeing to pay us a service
fee (“Service Fee”), in addition to the Transaction Amount. Payment
in US dollars is due at the time the transaction is submitted for processing. If you submit
a transaction that results in us being charged NSF fees, chargeback fees, or other similar
costs, you agree to reimburse Remitly for all such fees.
- Payment. In order for us to process your transaction you authorize us to charge any
of the payment instruments included in your payment profile (
“Payment Instrument” includes your credit card, debit card or bank
account). If your payment fails you authorize us to re-try one or more times using the same
Payment Instrument. You warrant that you are a lawful user of your Payment Instrument(s).
- Other Charges. We are not responsible for fees that may be imposed by financial
institutions associated with your Payment Instruments. For example, some credit card issuers
may treat the use of your credit card to use the Service as a “cash
advance” and may impose additional fees and interest cost for the transaction. Remitly
is not responsible for any NSF fees, chargeback fees, or other,
similar charges that might be imposed on you by your bank, credit card issuer, or other provider.
- Service Providers. We work with local banks and other third party outlets (each, a
“Service Provider”) to make funds available to Recipients. As a Sender,
you are appointing your Recipient as your agent for the purpose of receiving funds transmitted
through the Service. We try to provide current information on our website about the location,
availability, and hours of our Service Providers. However, we are not responsible for any
inaccurate or incomplete information that may be posted on the website.
- Verification. Recipients will be required to prove their identities before receiving
funds by presenting valid identification. Also, Recipients may be required to provide a
reference number or another similar identifier associated with their Transactions.
- General. We may refuse any Transaction or limit the amount to be transferred,
either on a per transaction or aggregated basis. These limits may be imposed on individual
accounts or linked accounts. We reserve the right at any time to modify or discontinue all
or any part of the Service.
- Delays. Your Transaction may be delayed by our effort to verify your identity and
validate your Payment Instruments and otherwise comply with laws or manage our financial risk.
You may be entitled to a refund in certain circumstances and you may cancel your transaction at
any time while it is pending.
- Commercial Transactions. You should not use the Service to send money except to people
that you know. We are not responsible for, the quality or delivery of goods or services that you
pay for using the Service. You accept that using the Service to pay for goods and services is at
your own risk.
- Unauthorized Transactions. You may not use the Service in violation of this User Agreement
or applicable laws, rules or regulations. It is a violation of the User Agreement to use the Service
for any of the following: sexually-oriented materials or services, gambling activities , fraud,
money-laundering, the funding of terrorist organizations, or the purchase or sale of tobacco, tobacco related paraphernalia, firearms,
prescription drugs, or other controlled substances; or to send money to a Recipient that has violated
the User Agreement. If you use the Service in connection with illegal conduct, Remitly will report you
to law enforcement.
These Service Restrictions, including Unauthorized Transactions and Restricted Activities, also apply to your use of Messaging. Additionally, when using this feature you agree to not use Messaging to harass, abuse, threaten, defame or violate the rights of any other party. Also, we are not responsible for any offensive messages that you may receive as a result of using Messaging. You are encouraged to report inappropriate use of the messaging feature to us at: email@example.com
- Ineligibility. Your Payment Instrument must be issued by a U.S. financial institution. We may
refuse Transactions from certain Senders and to certain Recipients that are included on the Specially
Designated Nationals list, Non-cooperative Countries and Territories list, and such other lists as
issued by different government agencies.
- No Changes. We generally do not let you change the details of your Transaction once it's submitted
to us for processing. It is your responsibility to make sure your Transaction details are accurate.
- Restricted Activities. In connection with your use of our website or the Service, or in the course
of your interactions with Remitly, a user or a third party, you will not:
- Breach this User Agreement, or any other agreement between you
- Provide false, inaccurate, or misleading information;
- Refuse to cooperate in an investigation or provide confirmation
of your identity;
- Use an anonymizing proxy;
- Provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or help
others to do so);
- Use any automatic device, or manual process to monitor or copy our website.
- Customer Identification Program. U.S. law requires we obtain, verify, and record
information about you. We may require that you provide us with nonpublic, personal,
identifying information. We may also lawfully obtain information about you from other
sources without your knowledge, including non-personal identifying information that we
may obtain while you visit this website. Please see our
- Government Disclosures. We may provide information about you and your Transactions
to government authorities and law enforcement agencies, as described in our Privacy
- Verifying information. You authorize us to make any inquiries, to you or to others,
which are necessary to validate the information that you provide to us. This may include
asking you for additional information, requiring you to take steps to confirm ownership
of your email address or financial instruments, verifying your information against third
party databases, or through other sources.
- Error Resolution. Let us know at any time if you have any problems with the Service. You can contact us using the contact information at the bottom of this User Agreement. For more information about error resolution click here.
- Refunds. You can cancel your transaction at any time prior to its completion. Completion means that your recipient claimed the money you sent either through cash pick-up or bank account deposit. The Transaction Amount will not be refunded after completion. If, however, you are not satisfied with our service for any reason we will always refund the fee amount. All refunds will be credited to the same Payment Instrument used to pay for the Transaction. Refunds are only made in U.S. dollars and will not be adjusted to account for changes in the value of the U.S. dollar or foreign currency from the time your Transaction was submitted. Please note that residents of certain jurisdictions may have certain refund rights and complaint procedures, as described here:
- Washington. As a Sender located in the state of Washington, you are entitled
to a refund of all moneys received for transmittal within ten days of receipt of a written
request for refund unless any of the following occurs:
- The monies have been transmitted and delivered to the
recipient prior to receipt of the written request for a refund;
- Instructions have been given committing an equivalent amount
of money to the person designated by the customer prior to
receipt of a written request for a refund;
- Remitly, or its authorized delegate has reason to believe
that a crime has occurred, is occurring, or may potentially
occur as a result of transmitting the money as requested by the
customer or refunding the money as requested by the customer; or
- Remitly is otherwise barred by law from making a refund.
- Texas. As a Sender located in the state of Texas, you are entitled to cancel a transaction, and receive an immediate refund of all money charged for the remittance, including any fees paid to Remitly, within thirty minutes of receiving a receipt, unless the intended recipient of the transaction has received the funds, or its equivalent.
- If you have a complaint first contact the consumer assistance division of Remitly, Inc at (877) 526-4216 (outside the United States, call +1 (206) 535-6152), if you still have an unresolved complaint regarding the company's money transmission or currency exchange activity, please direct your complaint to: Texas Department of Banking, 2601 North Lamar Boulevard, Austin, Texas 78705, (877) 276-5554 (toll free), www.dob.texas.gov.
- Illinois. Illinois customers with questions about compliance with the Illinois Transmitter of Money Act can contact the Illinois Department of Financial Institutions Consumer Credit Section at (888) 298 8089.
- Maryland. The Commissioner of Financial Regulation for the state of Maryland will accept all questions or complaints from Maryland residents regarding Remitly, inc. at 500 North Calvert St., Suite 402, Baltimore, Maryland 21202, (888) 784-0136.
- Florida. Florida residents with questions about Remitly's compliance with the Florida Money Transmitters Code should contact the Florida Department of Financial Services at: 200 East Gaines Street, Tallahasee, Florida 32399, or call the Department at (800) 342-2762.
- Colorado. If you are a resident of the state of Colorado and have a question or concern about a transaction involving Remitly please contact the Colorado Division of Banking at (303) 894-7575 or by mail sent to the Colorado Division of Banking, 1500 Broadway, Suite 975, Denver, CO 80202. Please include the following information:
- The name of any person(s) at Remitly with whom you had contact.
- A complete description of the complaint any efforts that have been made to resolve the complaint directly with Remitly.
- Copies of any available documentation supporting the complaint and efforts toward resolution.
You acknowledge that the Service, including the content of this website, text, graphics,
logos, and images, as well as all other Remitly copyrights, trademarks, logos, and
product and service names are owned exclusively by Remitly, Inc. (the
“Remitly Intellectual Property”). You agree not to display, use,
copy, or modify the Remitly Intellectual Property in any manner. You are authorized
solely to view and retain a copy of the pages of this website for your own personal,
non-commercial use. You further agree not to: (i) use any robot, spider, scraper or other
automated device to access the Service; (ii) remove or alter any author, trademark or other
proprietary notice or legend displayed on this website (or printed pages thereof); or (iii)
infringe Remitly's or any third party's copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other
intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy..
We make reasonable efforts to ensure that Transactions are processed in a timely manner,
but we make no representations or warranties regarding the time needed to complete processing
because the Service is dependent on many factors outside our control. Some jurisdictions do
not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties, so the foregoing disclaimer may not apply to
you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other legal rights that
vary state to state. In any event, you may have a right to a refund as expressly described herein.
You agree to indemnify and hold Remitly, Service Providers, and their respective subsidiaries, officers,
agents, partners, and employees harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees,
made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of the Service, your connection to the Service,
your violation of the User Agreement, or your violation of any rights of another.
IN NO EVENT SHALL REMITLY, SERVICE PROVIDERS, OR THEIR RESPECTIVE SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, AGENTS, PARTNERS,
OR EMPLOYEES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES BEYOND
THE SUM OF $500.00 (IN ADDITION TO REFUNDING THE TRANSACTION AMOUNT AND SERVICE FEES), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF REMITLY HAS BEEN ADVISED
OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) RESULTING FROM NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF REMITLY, DISBURSEMENT PARTNERS,
OR THEIR RESPECTIVE SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, AGENTS, PARTNERS, OR EMPLOYEES.
- Governing Law. This User Agreement shall be governed according to the laws of the State of
Washington, and all activities performed in connection with the Service shall be deemed to have been
performed in Washington. Any controversy, dispute, or claim arising out of or relating to the Service
or User Agreement (a “Claim”) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws
of Washington, except that body of law governing conflicts of law.
- Disputes with Remitly. If a dispute arises between you and Remitly, our goal is to learn about
and address your concerns. If we are unable to address your concerns to your satisfaction, we will seek to
provide you with a neutral and cost-effective means of resolving the dispute quickly. Disputes between you
and Remitly regarding the Service may be reported online to
Customer Service; by telephone at 1 (877) 526-4216
(outside the United States, call 1 (206) 535-6152); or by mail at Remitly, Inc., attn: Customer
Service, 1601 2nd Ave, Suite 700, Seattle WA 98101, USA.
- Arbitration. For any claim (excluding claims for injunctive or other equitable relief) where the
total amount of the award sought is less than $10,000.00 USD, the party requesting relief may elect to resolve
the dispute in a cost-effective manner through binding non-appearance-based arbitration. If a party elects
arbitration, that party will initiate such arbitration through an established alternative dispute resolution
(ADR) provider mutually agreed upon by the parties. The ADR provider and the parties must comply with the
following rules: a) the arbitration shall be conducted by telephone, online and/or be solely based on written
submissions, the specific manner shall be chosen by the party initiating the arbitration; b) the arbitration
shall not involve any personal appearance by the parties or witnesses unless otherwise mutually agreed by the
parties; and c) any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent
- Forum for Disputes. Except as otherwise agreed by the parties or as described in section 12(c) above,
you agree that any claim or dispute you may have against Remitly must be resolved by a court located in King County.
You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within King County, Washington for the purpose
of litigating all such claims or disputes.
- Improperly Filed Litigation. All claims you bring against Remitly must be resolved in accordance with section
12 of this Agreement. All claims filed or brought contrary to section 12 shall be considered improperly filed, and a
breach of this Agreement. Should you file a claim contrary to section 12, Remitly may recover attorneys' fees and
costs (including in-house attorneys and paralegals) up to $1,000.00 USD, provided that Remitly has notified you in
writing of the improperly filed claim, and you have failed to promptly withdraw the claim.
You acknowledge that this User Agreement shall be entered into electronically, and that the following categories
of information (“Communications”) may be provided by electronic means: (i) this User Agreement
and any amendments, modifications or supplements to it; (ii) your records of transactions through the Service; (iii)
any initial, periodic or other disclosures or notices provided in connection with the Service, including without
limitation those required by federal or state law; (iv) any customer service communications, including without limitation
communications with respect to claims of error or unauthorized use of the Service; (v) any other communication related
to the Service or Remitly.
The Service does not allow for Communications to be provided in paper format or through other non-electronic means. You may
withdraw your consent to receive Communications electronically, but if you do, your use of the Service shall be terminated.
In order to withdraw your consent, you must contact us using our contact information at the end of this User Agreement.
- Entire Agreement. The User Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and Remitly and
governs your use of the Service, superseding any prior agreements between you and Remitly.
- No Waiver. The failure of Remitly to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the User
Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of the User Agreement
is found by an arbitrator or court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree
that the arbitrator or court should endeavor to give appropriately valid effect to the intention of the User
Agreement as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the User Agreement shall remain in full
force and effect.
- Modification. We may modify this User Agreement from time to time without notice to you, except as
may be required by law. You can review the most current version of the User Agreement at any time by reviewing
this website. You may terminate your use of the Service if you do not agree with any modification or amendment.
If you use the Service after the effective date of an amendment or modification, you shall be deemed to have
accepted that amendment or modification. You agree that you shall not modify this User Agreement and acknowledge
that any attempts by you to modify this User Agreement shall be void.
Your security is very important to Remitly, and we use a variety of security measures to make sure that your information
is secure. We urge you to think carefully before sending money to anyone that you do not know well. In particular, you
should be cautious of deals or offers that seem too good to be true. If you think you have been or might be a victim of
fraud, please contact us immediately by telephone at 1-877-526-4216 (outside the United States, call (206) 535-6152).
If you are aware of anyone or any entity that is using the Service inappropriately, please email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org . And if you receive any fake (phishing) emails, purporting to
be from Remitly, please forward them to us at email@example.com.
Questions, notifications, and requests for refunds or further information can be sent to Remitly, as follows:
online; by telephone at 1-877-526-4216 (outside the United
States, call (206) 535-6152); or by mail at Remitly Inc., attn: Customer Service, 1601 2nd Ave,
Suite 700, Seattle, WA 98101, USA.