Please take the time to read the following information carefully. We also recommend that you store this document in a safe place.
Remitly U.K. Ltd, ("Remitly") is serious about respecting and protecting your privacy.
1. Purpose and Scope
- with whom we share it, (and how you can elect in certain situations to not share information with third parties );
- the choices available to you regarding our use of your personal information; and
- how you can access and update this information.
- websites (such as www.remitly.com) (our “Websites”); and
- our mobile applications (our “App”), once you have downloaded or streamed a copy of our App on your mobile telephone or handheld device (“Device”).
Who is the controller of personal information?
1.3 For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Remitly U.K., Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 09896841. Remitly’s registered address is at Eighth Floor, Ten Bishops Square, London, United Kingdom, E1 6EG. When we refer to “Remitly”, “we”, “us”, or “our”, in this Policy we are referring to this entity. Remitly is also registered with the UK Information Commissioner with registration number: ZA169080.
What is the meaning of certain words and phrases used in this policy?
1.4 The terms “you”, “your” and “yours” refer to the customer or other user accessing and/or using our Services. When we use the phrase “Personal Information” in this Policy we are referring to information such as name and email that can be used to identify you individually. We do not consider personal information to include information that has been anonymised so that it does not identify a specific user.
1.5 We also use other capitalised words and phrases (such as “Profile”) which have the same meaning as given to them in our User Agreement, unless we have defined them differently in this Policy.
- is to your benefit;
- is required to be made to comply with applicable laws and/or regulations or as otherwise required by one of our regulators; or
- is to clarify an existing term (without materially changing its meaning).
A special note about children
1.9 We ask that persons under the age of 18 (which we treat as children and minors) refrain from using our Service or submitting any personal information to us. Persons under the age of 18 years are not eligible to use our Service and if we discover that someone under the age of 18 has registered a Profile with us, we will close it.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this Policy, you should contact us.
2. Information We Collect
2.1 We may collect and process the following information about you, which may include non-public personal information:
- Information you give us about yourself. You may give us personal and financial Information about yourself as a result of using our Services. This includes information you provide when you download or register our App, register to any of our Services (whether via our Websites or our App), carry out money transfer and messages via our Services, share data via our Website and/or App social media functions, enter a competition, promotion or survey and also when you report a problem or query related to our Services, Websites and/or App. The information you may give us includes: your name, address, e-mail address, date of birth, telephone number (including your Device’s telephone number), username, password, other security and registration details, all or part of your government identification details, tax identification numbers, bank account number, credit/debit card number, personal description and/or photograph. Under certain circumstances we will also collect and save information obtained from scanned copies of official identification documents, including your passport or drivers' licence. If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Information you give us about third parties. Third party personal information you provide in order for us to facilitate funds transfers, such as your recipient's full name, physical address, email address, and phone number. However, we will not contact your recipients except as instructed by you or as required to complete a transaction. This information is only used for the sole purpose of completing your request or for whatever reason it may have been provided and will be stored for a certain period of time to comply with legal requirements. Please note that these recipients have the same rights to access and correct information about themselves as anyone else that uses our Services.
- Information we collect about you, your use of our Services and your Device. Each time you visit one of our Websites or use our App we may automatically collect the following information:
- Information about your usage of the Service, including your transaction history, and how and to whom you use the Service to send or receive money;
- Information that we indirectly obtain from you, such as information about the hardware and software you use when accessing the Service (which may include the type of Device you use), a unique device identifier (for example, your Device’s IMEI number, the MAC address of the Device’s wireless network interface, or the mobile number used by the Device), your IP address, mobile network information, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile browser you use, its time zone setting, the pages you access on our Websites, and other websites that you visit prior to accessing our Service.
- Information we receive from other sources. We work closely with third parties (including, for example, identity verification services, electronic database services, credit reporting agencies business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, market research service providers, analytics providers, and search information providers) and may lawfully obtain information about you from them;
- Location information. We may also use GPS technology to determine your current location. Some of our location enabled Services require your personal data for this to work. If you wish to use the particular feature, you will be asked to consent to your data being used for this purpose.
- Unique Application Numbers. When you install or uninstall a Service containing a unique application number or when such a Service searches for automatic updates, that number and information about your installation, for example, the type of operating system, may be sent to us.
- Information from ‘sign-in’ services and social media platforms. You can log in to our Website using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will seek to authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities using our Services to your profile page to share with others publicly or within your network. If you are unsure about what information these service providers / social media platforms are sharing with us, please review your privacy settings with those services as well as their privacy notices.
As is true of most web sites, we also gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.
We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you. We do this to improve services we offer you.
4. How we use the personal information we collect
4.1 Specified purposes. We collect Personal and Non-Personal information for the following purposes:
- To process an application to register and use our Services, including to verify your identity.
- To process your transactions, provide our other Services and related customer support.
- To maintain a transaction and messaging history for customer reference.
- To track, improve and personalise our Services, content and advertising.
- To collect payment for your use of the Service.
- To troubleshoot problems with the Service.
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations, relevant industry standards and our policies, including those relating to “know-your-customer,” and anti-money laundering requirements including where we compare your information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
- To detect and prevent fraud and other unlawful and/or illegitimate uses of the Service.
- To give effect to your legal rights.
- To exercise legal rights and/or defend claims.
- To send you marketing notices, service updates, and promotional offers.
- To collect survey information that will be used to monitor or improve the use of our Service and overall customer satisfaction.
- To create anonymous statistical and other information to help us understand and improve our Service and our business.
- To perform trend and financial data analysis.
4.2 Other purposes. We also collect your information for any other purposes directly related to the purpose for which the information was originally obtained.
4.3 Data retention. We will not keep personal information any longer than is necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes set out in this section (including any directly related purpose). However, please note that we will retain your information for as long as your Profile is active or as needed to provide you Service. We will also retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. Please note that by using our Services you expressly consent to us retaining your personal data (including data related to your transactions and our collection and verification of your identity) for longer than 5 years following when end your legal relationship with us. This is to allow us to detect and prevent: fraud; and/or other illegitimate uses of our Service.
5. How We Share Information With Others
5.2 We do not sell or rent the information we collect about identifiable individuals to third parties (such as advertisers) for their promotional purposes but we may provide them with anonymous aggregated information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 300 women aged under 40 have clicked on their advertisement on any one day). We may also use such aggregated information to help such advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, men in certain parts of London). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience. These companies are authorised to use your personally identifiable information only as necessary to provide these services to us
5.3 Nevertheless, we may share information about you (including non-public, personal information) with:
- Other users of our Service for the purposes of carrying out our Services and/or managing any issues which may result.
- Third-party service providers under contract with us that help us with our business operations, such as payment transaction and messaging processing, third party identity verification service providers, fraud prevention, and marketing. These third parties are prohibited from using your information for their own separate business purposes, with the exception of our third party service providers that assist us with third party identity verification and fraud prevention that may keep a record of the information we supply and who may also disclose the fact that a search of its records was made to its other customers for the purposes of assessing the risk of giving credit, to prevent fraud and to trace debtors.
- Your bank or credit or debit card issuer and your recipient’s disbursement provider (such as their bank) for the purpose of carrying out our Services and in particular to assist in our fraud and risk prevention activities.
- Other group companies, agents, contractors and other service providers that are under a duty of confidentiality to us and have undertaken to keep your personal information confidential.
- In the event of the sale, acquisition or merger of some or all of our assets, your personal information might be a part of the transferred assets. We shall notify you in the event of such an occurrence, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information, by placing a notice on our website.
- The police, security forces, any law enforcement agencies, competent governmental, intergovernmental or supranational officials and bodies, competent agencies, regulatory bodies (including self-regulatory bodies or schemes) or other third parties,
- in connection with a formal request, subpoena court order, or similar legal procedure; and
- when we are co-operating with an investigation by any of the persons referred to above; and,
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, prevent physical harm or financial loss, report suspected illegal activity, or to enforce, act in compliance of, and/or investigate violations of our User Agreement.
- Persons you have referred to us via our referral programmes.
- Other third parties with your consent and direction to do so.
5.4 In order to verify your identify, Remitly uses the services of Onfido https://onfido.com/privacy. Onfido will check your identity documents are valid, and also confirm that your photo matches the photo on the documents. The results of the check will then be shared with Remitly. By continuing to use our Services, you consent to your photo and ID documents being shared with Onfido for this purpose, for Remitly to receive these services from Onfido as well as to allow Onfido to maintain, protect and improve its services.
6. Transfer of your personal information outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”)
7. Access To Your Information
7.1 You can access, modify, delete or update your personal information submitted on our Website by logging into your Profile and changing your preferences, by emailing our Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by contacting us by telephone at 0800 0869 992. Please make sure that the information you provide us is always current, complete and accurate.
7.2 The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with that law. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 (or such other amount set by regulation from time to time) to assist in meeting our costs in providing you with the details of the information we hold about you.
8.1 We employ industry accepted standards in protecting the information you submit to us via our Services. We have put in place SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption technology to protect your sensitive information such as bank account number, credit card number, date of birth and government or tax identification number, transmitted through our Website and/or our App. We also require the use of security credentials (which may, for example, include a username and password) from each user who wants to access their information on our Website and/or our App. Where we have given you (or you have chosen) security credentials (such as a password) that enable you to access certain parts of our Service, you are responsible for keeping these details confidential and secure. Moreover, if you allow access to our Services via using your fingerprint on your Device (for example, via Apple Touch ID), then you should not allow any other person to register their fingerprint on that Device as it may allow them access to our Services and you could be held responsible for their actions. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security and any transmission of data is at your own risk. If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us at email@example.com.
9. Choices You Can Make About Our Use Of Your Information
9.1 You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. You can exercise this right simply at any time by carrying out ‘unsubscribe’ actions which are made available to you (such as clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in each promotional email we send you).
9.2 You may also control how we use some of your personal information as part of our Services (such as how we may communicate with you) by confirming your preferences in your Profile. Please note that not all communications can be switched off – for example, we may be required to send you email notices about our Services to comply with our legal obligations.
10. Links to 3rd Party Sites & Third Party Services
12. Google Maps
We use a chat feature to answer questions about our Services and assist you with our website's functionality. If our chat feature is offline we will collect your name and email address so that we may reply to your request.
13. Social Media Widgets
14. Import Contacts
We may give you the ability to import contacts from your Gmail, Yahoo Mail or other email providers as well as allowing you to manually enter them to invite them to become members of our Services. Before providing us access to any other person’s details, you must obtain their prior permission to share their information with us and we may let them know that you have supplied their details to us. We do not collect the username and password for the email account you wish to import your contacts from as you provide it directly to that email service provider and after your approval they send us your email contacts. At your instruction we will send an email invite and at most one reminder email in addition to the original invite.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our Services, we may ask you for your friend's name, email address and/or other contact information. You should only ever provide us with someone else’s details if you have their consent to do so. We may also let your contact know that you are the person that referred us to them. We will automatically send your friend an email and at most one reminder email inviting him or her to visit the site. Remitly, stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this email and tracking the success of your referral.
Your friend may request that we remove this information from our database.
You can contact us with any questions or concerns at: Remitly, U.K. Ltd, Portland House, Bressenden Place, London SW1E 5RS.
Email: Customer Service.
Phone: 0800 0869 992